VIDEO:Potential of Cannabidiol in Epileptic Encephalopathies Rodney A. Radtke, MD

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 29/3/2019, 02:32     +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Potential of Cannabidiol in Epileptic Encephalopathies
Pubblicato il 28 mar 2019
A comprehensive review of cannabidiol’s potential role in improving care for patients with epileptic encephalopathies.

maxresdefault

Edited by MEDICINAINFO - 7/7/2019, 04:05

Web Contacts  Top
view post Posted on 10/6/2019, 00:27     +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

maxresdefault
Potential of Cannabidiol in Epileptic Encephalopathies
A comprehensive review of cannabidiol’s potential role in improving care for patients with epileptic encephalopathies.
Rodney A. Radtke, MD
PUBLISHED April 05, 2019
Rodney A. Radtke, MD: The most exciting new approval of an agent to treat epilepsy has been the approval of cannabidiol [CBD]. Epidiolex is the brand name. It is an oral solution that is administered twice a day for the treatment of epilepsy. The specific indication is for the treatment of seizures in the setting of Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. However, many of us are going to use it in other seizure syndromes, including focal or partial epilepsy, and to see how it may or may not be effective. It’s a very exciting product. I mean, it has the excitement of the lay public in that there’s been a lot of talk about CBD and what it does or whatever, and there’s some really impressive stories, anecdotal stories, that have been portrayed on TV about how effective this product may be.

However, if you look at the studies, it is an effective agent. It does help with seizures in these 2 syndromes. It is not much more impressive than other products that have been evaluated in these same syndromes, and it does have adverse effects; it does have drug-drug interactions. For some reason the public perceives it as a safe drug, and not really a drug because it’s derived from a marijuana plant, but the reality is that it’s a new drug, we’re going to use it, we’ll see how effective it is, and we’ll see how well tolerated it is. But it’s certainly an exciting addition to what we have available to treat epilepsy patients.

Cannabidiol is an extract of the marijuana plant, and—as many people know—THC is the more psychoactive or mind-altering component of the marijuana plant. CBD, or cannabidiol, is the second-most prominent cannabinoid in marijuana. The thing that we know about the mechanism of CBD is that it doesn’t act at the cannabidiol 1 and 2 receptors that THC binds at. Clearly it has a different mechanism of action and has many effects on different neurotransmitter systems, etc, so right now we really don’t know the mechanism of action of this new product.

When starting cannabidiol, there are guidelines in the package insert about how to initiate the drug, and a couple of concerns about its safety. The guidelines are to begin with a dosage of 5 mg/kg—and this is even for adult patients, 5 mg/kg per day, and then after a 1- to 2-week interval, go to 10 mg/kg. You split that dosage in half, so you’re taking half that twice a day. Many of us are going to go slower, just as we do with many of our other products. Rather than getting there in a week or 2, we may take 3 or 4 weeks, hoping to enhance tolerability.

In any case, the therapeutic range is 10 to 20 mg/kg, so in my own experience I’m going to titrate up to 10 mg/kg. I’m going to stop there. I’m going to see how the patient does in terms of efficacy and tolerability. And then if we’re still having active seizures after a month or 2, we’re going to continue to titrate up to the goal of 20 mg/kg.

Before I start somebody on the cannabidiol, I do liver function tests, because there are a small number of patients who will have an elevation of their liver function test, particularly if the patient is coadministered valproate. The other thing I’m going to do is also check AED [antiepileptic drug] levels of the concomitant AEDs that I have on board, because there are significant drug interactions. The biggest drug interaction is with clobazam. Clobazam levels go up by at least double and sometimes much more than that. So my own practice is, as I start the cannabidiol, I’m going to, 1, have a baseline clobazam level to begin. And I’m also going to cut the clobazam in half as I initiate the drug, trying to avoid kind of the immediate sedative adverse effects that you’re going to get when your clobazam doubles. Long term, we’ll see how this plays out, but that’s kind of my initial approach, and so far things have gone well in terms of tolerability. But it’s really too early to make a judgment on efficacy.

While CBD has been available for several years through dispensaries or health care product lines or whatever, it’s really been difficult to know what you’re really getting. There really was nobody controlling the product, testing the product, or forcing the manufacturing to guarantee the product in any way. So when anyone looked at how much CBD was in the various products, it was really quite variable and at times alarming. So it’s reassuring, now that we have a pharmaceutical-grade product, that we know what’s in it. We know it’s got to be consistently made and be able to test a drug much more effectively. The other advantage to having the pharmaceutical-grade product is that it’s now going to be covered by third-party insurance. CBD, kind of through mail order or through the dispensary or whatever, was not inexpensive, and now for the individual patient and their family, this CBD product is going to be more affordable because of health care coverage.

The availability of cannabidiol gives us another effective agent in the difficult-to-treat patients with Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut. It will be interesting as we go forward as to where it plays out in terms of how we use it and how early we use it. At the present time, while there’s a great deal of excitement from patients and their families, we’re still going to be using the traditional agents like valproate and clobazam or whatever to treat these syndromes before moving on to cannabidiol. At this time, I don’t think it’s appropriate to use it as a first-line agent because we have more tried-and-true agents. With time and experience that may change, but I don’t think we’re there yet.
www.neurologylive.com/peer-exchang...ncephalopathies

ATTENZIONE ARTICOLO TRADOTTO CON www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=...ncephalopathies

Potenziale di cannabidiolo nelle encefalopatie epilettiche
Una revisione completa del ruolo potenziale del cannabidiolo nel miglioramento della cura per i pazienti con encefalopatie epilettiche.
Rodney A. Radtke, MD
PUBBLICATA aprile 05, 2019
Rodney A. Radtke, MD: La nuova approvazione più emozionante di un agente per il trattamento dell'epilessia è stata l'approvazione del cannabidiolo [CBD]. Epidiolex è il nome del marchio. È una soluzione orale che viene somministrata due volte al giorno per il trattamento dell'epilessia. L'indicazione specifica è per il trattamento delle convulsioni nell'impostazione della sindrome di Dravet e della sindrome di Lennox-Gastaut. Tuttavia, molti di noi stanno andando a usarlo in altre sindromi convulsive, tra cui l'epilessia focale o parziale, e per vedere come può o non può essere efficace. È un prodotto molto eccitante. Voglio dire, ha l'eccitazione del pubblico laici in quanto c'è stato un sacco di parlare di CBD e quello che fa o qualsiasi altra cosa, e ci sono alcune storie davvero impressionanti, storie aneddotiche, che sono stati ritratti in TV su quanto sia efficace questo prodotto può essere.

Tuttavia, se si guardano gli studi, è un agente efficace. Aiuta con le convulsioni in queste 2 sindromi. Non è molto più impressionante di altri prodotti che sono stati valutati in queste stesse sindromi, e ha effetti negativi; ha interazioni farmacologiche. Per qualche motivo il pubblico percepisce come un farmaco sicuro, e non è davvero un farmaco perché è derivato da una pianta di marijuana, ma la realtà è che si tratta di un nuovo farmaco, stiamo andando a usarlo, vedremo quanto sia efficace, e vedremo come ben tollerato è. Ma è certamente un'interessante aggiunta a ciò che abbiamo a disposizione per trattare i pazienti affetti da epilessia.

Il cannabidiolo è un estratto della pianta di marijuana, e — come molti sanno — il THC è il componente più psicoattivo o che altera la mente della pianta di marijuana. CBD, o cannabidiolo, è il secondo cannabinoide più prominente nella marijuana. La cosa che sappiamo sul meccanismo di CBD è che non agisce al cannabidiolo 1 e 2 recettori che il THC si lega a. Chiaramente ha un diverso meccanismo di azione e ha molti effetti su diversi sistemi di neurotrasmettitore, ecc, così in questo momento non sappiamo davvero il meccanismo di azione di questo nuovo prodotto.

Quando si inizia il cannabidiolo, ci sono linee guida nel foglietto illustrativo su come avviare la droga, e un paio di preoccupazioni circa la sua sicurezza. Le linee guida sono per cominciare con un dosaggio di 5 mg/kg — e questo è anche per i pazienti adulti, 5 mg/kg al giorno, e poi dopo un intervallo di 1-a 2 settimane, andare a 10 mg/kg. Hai diviso quel dosaggio a metà, quindi ne stai prendendo la metà due volte al giorno. Molti di noi stanno per andare più lento, proprio come facciamo con molti dei nostri altri prodotti. Piuttosto che arrivarci in una settimana o 2, potremmo prendere 3 o 4 settimane, sperando di migliorare la tollerabilità.

In ogni caso, l'intervallo terapeutico è da 10 a 20 mg/kg, quindi nella mia esperienza ho intenzione di titolare fino a 10 mg/kg. Mi fermo qui. Ho intenzione di vedere come il paziente fa in termini di efficacia e tollerabilità. E poi se stiamo ancora avendo crisi attive dopo un mese o 2, stiamo andando a continuare a titolare fino all'obiettivo di 20 mg/kg.

Prima di iniziare qualcuno sul cannabidiolo, faccio test di funzionalità epatica, perché ci sono un piccolo numero di pazienti che avranno un'elevazione del loro test di funzionalità epatica, in particolare se il paziente è somministrato in concomitanza valproato. L'altra cosa che ho intenzione di fare è anche controllare AED [farmaci antiepilettici] livelli degli AEDs concomitanti che ho a bordo, perché ci sono interazioni farmacologiche significative. La più grande interazione farmacologica è con clobazam. I livelli di clobazam salire di almeno il doppio e a volte molto di più. Quindi la mia pratica è, come comincio il cannabidiolo, ho intenzione di, 1, hanno un livello di clobazam basale per iniziare. E ho anche intenzione di tagliare il clobazam a metà come ho iniziare la droga, cercando di evitare tipo di effetti avversi sedativo immediati che si sta andando ad ottenere quando il clobazam raddoppia. A lungo termine, vedremo come questo gioca fuori, ma questo è una specie di mio approccio iniziale, e finora le cose sono andate bene in termini di tollerabilità. Ma è davvero troppo presto per fare un giudizio sull'efficacia.

Mentre CBD è stato disponibile per diversi anni attraverso dispensari o linee di prodotti per l'assistenza sanitaria o qualsiasi altra cosa, è davvero stato difficile sapere cosa stai realmente ottenendo. Non c'era davvero nessuno controllare il prodotto, testare il prodotto, o forzare la produzione per garantire il prodotto in alcun modo. Così, quando qualcuno guardò quanto CBD era nei vari prodotti, era davvero abbastanza variabile e a volte allarmante. Quindi è rassicurante, ora che abbiamo un prodotto di qualità farmaceutica, che sappiamo cosa c'è dentro. Sappiamo che deve essere costantemente fatto ed essere in grado di testare un farmaco molto più efficacemente. L'altro vantaggio di avere il prodotto farmaceutico-Grade è che ora sta per essere coperto da assicurazione di terze parti. CBD, tipo di attraverso l'ordine di posta o attraverso il dispensario o qualsiasi altra cosa, non era economico, e ora per il singolo paziente e la loro famiglia, questo prodotto CBD sta per essere più conveniente a causa della copertura sanitaria.

La disponibilità di cannabidiolo ci dà un altro agente efficace nei pazienti difficili da trattare con Dravet e Lennox-Gastaut. Sarà interessante come andiamo avanti per quanto riguarda dove si gioca in termini di come lo usiamo e come presto lo usiamo. Al momento attuale, mentre c'è una grande quantità di eccitazione da parte dei pazienti e delle loro famiglie, stiamo ancora andando a utilizzare gli agenti tradizionali come valproato e clobazam o qualsiasi altra cosa per trattare queste sindromi prima di passare al cannabidiolo. In questo momento, non credo che sia appropriato usarlo come agente di prima linea perché abbiamo più provati e veri agenti. Con il tempo e l'esperienza che possono cambiare, ma non credo che ci siamo ancora.
www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=...ncephalopathies

Web Contacts  Top
1 replies since 29/3/2019, 02:32   1033 views