Link Between Metabolic Bone Disease in Epilepsy and Hyponatremia, Hyponatremia in Epilepsy Patients

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 10/6/2019, 00:10     +1   -1

Advanced Member

Group:
Administrator

Link Between Metabolic Bone Disease in Epilepsy and Hyponatremia
Digital%20composite%20of%20Highlighted%20bones%20of%20man%20at%20physiotherapy.jpeg?width=1000&name=Digital%20composite%20of%20Highlighted%20bones%20of%20man%20at%20physiotherapy
Epilepsy affects a large number of people with currently no cure. There are treatments that are often used to help at least get a better handle on the seizures, including antiepileptic drugs (AEDs). However, occasionally there are side effects with these drugs or they don't perform for the patient at all.

Hyponatremia in Epilepsy Patients

One of the common side effects with some of these drugs is Hyponatremia. According to research coming from Denmark, Hyponatremia is independently associated with a decrease in bone marrow density and an elevated risk of Osteoporosis. Ultimately, this could mean epileptic patients taking AEDs could have future problems.

Dr. Sarah Seberg Diemar of Rigshospitalet Glostrup and Odense University Hospital, along with her colleagues, found that up to 46% of patients who have epilepsy will experience Hyponatremia. They came up with this number after having used data from patients at the tertiary outpatient epilepsy clinic. The data used totaled 695 patients and the investigation looked at whether patients with Hyponatremia developed Osteoporosis.

Out of the patients that were used in the research, the doctors found that 10.4% of them had Hyponatremia. This is characterized as having plasma sodium of 135 mmol/L or lower. Those who had the condition weighed less than the other patients and were “older at the time of the dual energy X-ray scan, more frequently used at least two AEDs and were more often treated with enzyme-inducing AEDs, compared with the non-hyponatremic group.”

In addition, when comparing with patients who did not have Hyponatremia, the patients who had Hyponatremia had much lower BMD T-scores in several parts of the body. These include the femoral neck, total femur and the lumbar spine. These findings were reported in Bone online on March 29, 2019. It was also discovered that "significantly more patients with Hyponatremia (25.0%) than without (10.3%) had Osteoporosis and patients with Hyponatremia had 2.91-fold increased odds of having Osteoporosis at any site (P=0.001). The odds of having Osteoporosis were increased 4.81-fold among patients treated with an enzyme-inducing AED (P<0.001).”

The results were surprising and it means that the doctors will need to pay closer attention to all of the other conditions their patients may have and how the conditions can affect one another.

What Did the Researchers Conclude?

The researchers found that when patients with epilepsy are found to be suffering from Hyponatremia, it is important that they also have doctors examine their bone health. They should be treating any existing Osteoporosis that might have developed.

While the information that has been uncovered thus far is enlightening and it has the potential to help a large number of people, this is not the end. The researchers agree that there needs to be further studies in this area to help increase the knowledge that is available in the field. In addition to more studies like this one, they believe that it is important to have studies that look further into the “underlying mechanisms behind hyponatremia-induced osteoporosis in patients with epilepsy.”

There are still many things about epilepsy that remain unknown or even misunderstood. Although, through studies like these that offer more knowledge about this condition along with other studies being conducted in this field, better treatment options for epilepsy may be possible in the future.
Sources:
https://www.mdlinx.com/neurology/top-medic...t_job_num=48575
http://www.rscdiagnosticservices.com/blog/...Qy512-EUZmQjGsQ

ATTENZIONE ARTICOLO TRADOTTO CON http://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=i...Qy512-EUZmQjGsQ
L'epilessia colpisce un gran numero di persone con attualmente nessuna cura. Ci sono trattamenti che sono spesso utilizzati per aiutare almeno ottenere una migliore maniglia sulle convulsioni, compresi i farmaci antiepilettici (AEDs). Tuttavia, occasionalmente ci sono effetti collaterali con questi farmaci o non svolgono per il paziente a tutti.

Iponatremia nei pazienti affetti da epilessia

Uno degli effetti collaterali comuni con alcuni di questi farmaci è hyponatremia. Secondo una ricerca proveniente dalla Danimarca, hyponatremia è associato in modo indipendente con una diminuzione della densità del midollo osseo e un elevato rischio di osteoporosi. In definitiva, questo potrebbe significare che i pazienti epilettici che assumono AEDs potrebbero avere problemi futuri.

La Dott. ssa Sarah Seberg diemar di Rigshospitalet Glostrup e l'ospedale universitario di Odense, insieme ai suoi colleghi, hanno scoperto che fino al 46% dei pazienti affetti da epilessia sperimenterà hyponatremia. Hanno avuto questo numero dopo aver usato i dati dei pazienti nella clinica per l'epilessia ambulatoriale terziaria. I dati utilizzati hanno totalizzato 695 pazienti e l'inchiesta ha esaminato se i pazienti affetti da hyponatremia sviluppavano osteoporosi.

Dei pazienti che sono stati utilizzati nella ricerca, i medici hanno scoperto che 10,4% di loro avevano hyponatremia. Questo è caratterizzato come avente sodio plasma di 135 mmol/L o inferiore. Coloro che avevano la condizione pesavano meno degli altri pazienti e erano "più anziani al momento della scansione a raggi X a doppia energia, più frequentemente utilizzati almeno due DAE e sono stati più spesso trattati con AEDs induttori enzimatici, rispetto al gruppo non iponremico."

Inoltre, quando si confrontano con pazienti che non hanno avuto hyponatremia, i pazienti che avevano hyponatremia avevano molto più basso BMD T-punteggi in diverse parti del corpo. Questi includono il collo femorale, il femore totale e la colonna vertebrale lombare. Questi risultati sono stati segnalati in Bone online il 29 marzo 2019. È stato anche scoperto che "significativamente più pazienti con hyponatremia (25,0%) che senza (10,3%) aveva l'osteoporosi e pazienti con hyponatremia aveva 2,91 volte aumentata probabilità di avere l'osteoporosi in qualsiasi sito (P= 0,001). Le probabilità di avere l'osteoporosi sono aumentate di 4,81 volte tra i pazienti trattati con un AED che induce l'enzima (P< 0,001). "

I risultati sono stati sorprendenti e significa che i medici dovranno prestare maggiore attenzione a tutte le altre condizioni i loro pazienti possono avere e come le condizioni possono influenzare l'un l'altro.

Che cosa hanno concluso i ricercatori?

I ricercatori hanno scoperto che quando i pazienti con epilessia si trovano a soffrire di hyponatremia, è importante che anche i medici esaminino la loro salute ossea. Dovrebbero trattare qualsiasi osteoporosi esistente che potrebbe aver sviluppato.

Mentre le informazioni che sono state scoperte finora sono illuminanti e hanno il potenziale per aiutare un gran numero di persone, questa non è la fine. I ricercatori concordano sul fatto che ci devono essere ulteriori studi in questo settore per contribuire ad aumentare la conoscenza che è disponibile sul campo. Oltre a ulteriori studi come questo, credono che sia importante avere studi che guardano ulteriormente nei "meccanismi sottostanti dietro l'osteoporosi indotta da iponatremia in pazienti con epilessia."

Ci sono ancora molte cose sull'epilessia che rimangono sconosciute o addirittura fraintese. Anche se, attraverso studi come questi che offrono maggiori conoscenze su questa condizione insieme ad altri studi condotti in questo campo, migliori opzioni di trattamento per l'epilessia possono essere possibili in futuro.
Fonti:

https://www.mdlinx.com/neurology/top-medic...l_features&% 3Bfeat_order_num = 3 & amp% 3Btime_id = 024162019 & amp% 3Balert_job_num = 48575
http://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=i...Qy512-EUZmQjGsQ

Web Contacts  Top
0 replies since 10/6/2019, 00:10   28 views